OList > OCrafters
OCrafters @ OList.com
OCrafters is an informal private discussion list for Objectivists and others who engage in the production of crafts such as knitting, furniture-building, weaving, metalworking, paper-making, sewing, flower-arranging, jewelry-making, and so on. Its purpose is to provide a forum for Objectivist crafters to ask each other questions, share useful advice and resources, and to brag about work in progress or completed.
Any Objectivist who engages in at least one craft may subscribe and post to OCrafters. Moreover, non-Objectivist crafters, as well as non-crafty Objectivists are welcome to subscribe to the list, but only as lurkers; they cannot post. OCrafters is not moderated, but members who violate its rules will be subject to moderation, if not unsubscribed.
OCrafters is managed by Earl Parson. Earl is an archtiect, as well as an accomplished knitter, welder, and woodworker. He blogs at Creatures of Prometheus. He can be reached at email@example.com.
OCrafters was launched in February 2011. At present, it has over 20 members.
To join the OCrafters mailing list as a poster, you must meet two criteria:
- You must be an Objectivist, meaning that you agree with and live by the principles of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism as best you understand them.
- You must engage in at least one craft.
Note: You do not qualify as an Objectivist if you consider yourself to be a libertarian (or associate with the Libertarian Party), advocate revising Objectivism (like David Kelley's "open system"), or associate with the false advocates of Objectivism (most notably David Kelley, Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden, and Chris Sciabarra).
You can request a subscription to OCrafters via this web form. You must briefly explain how you meet the list's criteria for membership: please write a few sentences. If you are confused or doubtful about the subscription criteria, please do not request a subscription without first e-mailing the list manager Earl Parson.
To join the OCrafters mailing list as a lurker, you need only meet either the first or the second criterion. Please indicate that you wish to only lurk -- and why -- when requesting to join the list.
The list is hosted on Google Groups, so subscribing requires an account with Google. (It's free and easy to create.) Click here for instructions on managing your OList subscriptions.
After you subscribe, please post an introduction, including your name, location, and a bit about your interest in and experience with crafts.
Rules of the List
The OCrafters list has a few basic rules:
- Please be friendly or at least civil in posts to the list and in e-mails to the list manager. Subscribers who behave like asses, such as by insulting other list members or attacking Objectivist intellectuals, will be removed from the list. Also, please do not gripe about other list members in posts to the list.
- Please respect the purpose of the list. Subscribers who prove disruptive -- such as by arguing against Objectivist positions or posting on irrelevant topics -- will be unsubscribed or subject to moderation. Please note that list policy is always off-topic: please direct any comments or questions about the management of the list to the list manager.
- Please respect the privacy of other list members. Don't forward list messages to blogs, e-mail lists, or other public forums without the author's permission, unless the message is a public announcement meant to be disseminated.
- Please be considerate about what you choose to post to the list. If a message is likely to be of interest to just one or two people -- such as "thank you!" or "good job!" -- please send that privately, rather than to the whole list. Notably, you are welcome to announce your own work on the list, if relevant.
- Please refrain from debate on the list. The common goal of all the OLists is to serve our real-life values, not to foster ivory-tower or acrimonious debate. If you disagree with opinions expressed on the list, state your own views and give reasons for them. Any back-and-forth arguments, however, should be taken off-list. (For elaboration, see "A Discussion is Not a Debate" by Jean Moroney.)
Mail to OCrafters should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. (Mail to the former address is automatically forwarded to the latter address.)
If you are a subscriber, you can access OCrafters through this web interface. There, you can peruse the archives and change your subscription.
Click here for further instructions on managing your OList subscriptions.
If you have any questions about or problems with the list, please e-mail the list's manager Earl Parson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OList Home | Webcasts | Events | Calendar | List Mechanics | About Objectivism
The OList.com web site and mailing lists are owned by Dr. Diana Hsieh of Philosophy in Action.
e-mail - web - blog - twitter - facebook